Saturday, July 26, 2008

My Last 6 Weeks...

Just to caution all of you this is going to be one LONG blog post. I knew that when I got home I’d want to blog all about my trip but then I also tried doing a few posts while I was gone to make this one a little easier but I still feel like there is just so much I could share. I was trying to think of ways yesterday to make it more interesting to read also or ways to keep your attention through the whole post but I came up with nothing, so sadly you’ll have to bear with me through all of this if you want to make it to the end! ☺

As you almost all know I had my trip to Oklahoma planned for awhile before I actually went but it was more difficult this time since it was a surprise for Bethany. She was planning on me arriving the 26th, but I actually flew in the 21st and stayed with the Naylors a few days before I went to the Morris’ house. So my trip started out at the Naylors house which was a lot of fun! I got to meet a lot of really nice people at a Celtic Festival they played at and then just had fun being with them all. One night we played volleyball with a group of people at some church and then one afternoon us girls had fun playing around with make up and doing hair and then I had the privilege to photograph them with John’s REALLY nice studio lights. It was so great, unfortunately I did a horrible job taking the pictures, but I guess it was good practice for me. John’s lights are so nice too, I’ve heard about using studio lights but never thought I’d care to try them out, but boy was I wrong, they added a whole new feel to the pictures. Also while I was with the Naylors we went to the IMAX, which was really cool. We saw a movie called Storm Chasers. I had never been to the IMAX before so I didn’t even know what to expect, when it first came on I thought I might get sick during the movie, but that feeling went away and I was just so enthralled into the movie I think. ☺

So then Tuesday came around and it was time to try to pull off the surprise for Bethany. The plan was to meet Mrs. Morris at the donut shop around 7:00 and then when she went into the house she was going to have all the kids go in the back room while she got a last minute gift ready for Bethany. That’s when I came in and she had this huge box ready for me to slip underneath. She had it wrapped as if a puppy was in the box or something though, because she had little dog treats tied with ribbon to the top of the box to throw her off, which I THINK it worked. After I was positioned she had all the kids come out of the back and they were just all amazed at the huge box, it was hard for me to keep from laughing at the expressions the kids were saying! :D Finally Bethany started to open the box though and saw me! ☺ She said later on that she wondered if I’d somehow make it for her birthday but didn’t expect me to be in the box. So it was a success and I think she was not TOO disappointed that it was me and not a puppy!

Well I guess I better not give a play by play of the WHOLE trip cause that could get REALLY REALLY lengthy seeing I was there 2 days short of 6 weeks, who knows I could probably write a book, but anyways, moving on…. ☺

It was so great being back at their house and just seeing everyone again. Being able to join in on celebrating Bethany’s birthday was great, it was a really nice party! That day Bethany went to get her hair cut also so that was great seeing her get it cut at a salon type place for the first time! She is NOT tough headed by any means either, so the expressions she would make when the lady pulled her hair were priceless. I think I have a few pictures of that to post! ;)

Well for the first two weeks we just enjoyed a lot of normal things, milking goats, playing lots of volleyball, working on a song to record (singing) and also going to the Tea Room for Bethany’s late birthday gift. ☺ You probably all read her blog about that so I wont say too much. So anyway, it was getting very close to the time I was supposed to leave and SOMEBODY, no just kidding, I don’t know who’s idea it was but someone mentioned me staying longer. I had nothing pressing at home so it WAS possible for me to stay but I just kept telling them I couldn’t do that to them. When you take a family of 14 and then try to add someone else for that long, things DO happen and well I knew it would and so I felt really wrong to agreeing staying that long. But I gave in to my flesh I guess because I decided to stay. I called my Dad and asked his permission and he saw nothing wrong with it so I called the airlines and to my surprise it was VERY cheap to change my flight so I did! I was then scheduled to come home the 24th of July instead of the 8th. I’ll admit I was very excited that I was going to be there that much longer, and we had lots of fun things planned in those two weeks. TWO rodeos to go to and the Peach Festival in Strattford (sp?). Also Mr. Morris’ parents were coming up for a visit so I was going to get to meet them.

Well that first night after changing my tickets something came up and I immediately told them I made the wrong decision. Oh, don’t think THEY did anything wrong, it was me! Bethany and I had this little joke….a mean joke I guess and well Bethany did this little thing :-{} and I just laughed SOO hard but then someone else was in the studio and wanted to know why I was laughing so that’s what caused the problem. I couldn’t exactly explain to him what Bethany did and he really wanted to know so it was my fault and I felt awful but I made the comment that I shouldn’t have changed my flight. Well that kind of started an uproar! LOL Then I was told that I needed to “switch my gears” :D That became a key slogan around the Morris House with me there. I guess I have a tendency to come up with what everyone thinks about me then when they say that’s not true, I have a hard time believing them, SO after that night I tried hard to “switch gears” and BELIEVE! ;) It actually helped a lot, not to say I succeeded every time, not at ALL, but the times I was able to retrain my brain, it worked well. ☺

So that next day Nana and Pop (The Morris’ grandparents) arrived and it was really great to meet them. I had heard a lot about them but it was a blessing to meet in person. At first I was a LITTLE quiet around them (Just a little, right guys?) but soon I became my normal self. They put on a little concert for them and I played one song with Caleb and Dan on my guitar, As the Deer. That night was the beginning of our every night practice! The guys played Washed in the Blood and then realized I knew how to play it on guitar so practiced that and a few other songs most nights, it was a lot of fun! Just wish Bethany would have been in on it, she would just sit with us and look PRETTY bored! ;) She is very good at playing so we would have sounded even better if she would have helped us out!

A few days after their grandparents left we went to a rodeo in Shawnee. It was a HUGE rodeo and SO neat! I had never been to one before so it was quite exciting! Bethany says I screamed a few times, but I don’t remember doing that. Some of the events just looked so mean though, like where they had to rope the calf and then rope the back legs also and then stretch the thing….oooh so sad! ☹ I guess it is possible I screamed on that part, but only because I felt sorry for the calf. The bucking broncos were So neat and the bull riding…those were definitely my two favorite things to watch.

WOAH, sorry to interrupt with my story but I’m sitting on my Dad’s deck writing this and well I’ve had like 10 wasps fly by me and one big bumble bee, but just now I heard something loud and looked over and there was a HUMMINGBIRD not even a foot from me. It just stayed right by me. That was so neat and then it flew over to the hibiscus tree next to me, anyway sorry, maybe this is like an intermission to my story. ☺ It’s gone now though, so moving on…

While I was there we also got to do quite a bit of shopping. I had enough clothes for 2 weeks but not six and well I know I could just wash and reuse, but the same ol’ skirts for that long just don’t work for me. It was fun shopping though. I was able to get like 3 or 4 new skirts while I was there so that helped out a lot, OH and I got my hair cut! I wanted my hair to stay long but it was to the point it was too heavy to wear in a pony tail and it actually FELT like horse hair it was so bad, so while we were at the mall, I went in to one of those little places and they cut it for me. I was really nervous and after she was done it felt SOO short, but I’m glad I got it cut. It’s a lot healthier now and feels softer AND it’s cooler for these hot summer days! I think it’s about the shortest I’ve ever had it though. The Morris’ still think it’s long and well…my family could barely tell I cut it when I got home, but being my own hair I can DEFINITELY tell. ☺

Hmm..this is hard writing this many weeks later about everything that went on. We did SO much stuff but then I draw a blank when it comes to blogging about it all. It’d sure be a lot easier if when I’m on my trips I just blogged each night about the day, but of course that would take away from my time there and I wouldn’t want that. :D

Well last Saturday was the Peach Festival that we all went to. It was really fun going there and seeing the Burnett's. Hannah and Abbie were in the “Peach Idol” contest and were playing some song on the piano and violin. They did a really nice job and ended up getting to play before the rodeo that night also. Between the Peach Festival and the rodeo we went back to the Burnett’s home to have dinner and just spend time fellowshipping. It was nice to finally see their house and to see the girls again. I already talked a little bit about the rodeo that night. It was a lot of fun and I’m not sure if I mentioned but Elijah, Caleb and Daniel all did the wild cow ride thing too. I’m not exactly sure how it’s supposed to work, but I think you are supposed to like get ahold of the cow, saddle it and then one of the people is to get on and ride it to the other end, well, that only worked with one team. The halter came off almost immediately for the guys, so they weren’t able to do it. I felt sorry for them, but hey, at least they didn’t get hurt. One guy got like completely stepped on and left limping, so I’m glad it was no one I knew. ☹ Some of the younger kids did the calf scramble too. It was fun to watch tons of kids running around trying to grab the little ribbon off of them.

By this time my trip was nearing an end and I was getting pretty sad about that. I did miss my family, a lot actually but I knew I’d miss them all when I was gone too. The only reason it was easier for me to go was because I knew it would be good for their family to get back to normal life with Danielle being there! Even though they said it wasn’t like that, I know what it’s like to have company for 6 weeks..or longer and it’s nice to have your own family just back and not in the “play” mode anymore.

I found out SO many things right before leaving though, lots of things that I just laugh about. Some of those Morris boys are just TOO funny, they were having SS meetings without me knowing and well just loved to joke. :D “Y” I guess I had quite a few of my own jokes though for them! Anna- 5 C’s Bethany- ( ) and just some random ones throughout this post! :D

Leaving on Thursday was unbelievably tough. I just didn’t want to say goodbye and well I’m not sure how long it will be till I see them again, hopefully in January for sure at the Film Festival, but who knows…God knows! ☺ Very quickly after being there they all became like family to me. They all treated me as a sister and Mr. Morris would tell people I was his adopted daughter. It was very special to me. I realized on this trip that people don’t always have a motive for being nice. They chose to love me and to be kind to me because they were extending God’s love not for any other reason. That was very neat for me and I’ll always be appreciative for their kindness. I miss you all! ☺

Well, I guess that’s it. There you have it, that’s most of the highlights from my trip. I didn’t even mention 4th of July or flying kites or swimming in the pond and pool, there is just so much, hopefully you guys will feel like you know a little more though of what went on while I was there!

Now that I am back home I’m not sure what is in store for me. Right now I’m just enjoying the time I have at home with my family. Angie hasn’t been feeling good, she is SO ready for Luke to be here…we have been praying her water will break soon! We are thinking surely it will be in the next few days, but we hope each day it will happen that night! ;) My Dad is barbecuing today and Lane is filling up water balloons and well I’ve just been writing this. I AM working on my tan though, Bethany for sure beat me on our tanning contest, but getting home I found out I’m more tan than anyone here! ☺ Not that it matters, it’s just fun to compare. It’s taken me almost an hour to write this though, so that’s a whole hour I’ve been out here….uh oh Bethany watch out, I just might catch up to you! ;)

If you made it this far, Congratulations hope you weren’t all TOO bored with this post! ☺



Bethany said...

Wow, we had such a great time didn't we?? Those jokes are just too much!! :D :D I'm sure missing you an awful lot....Love you!


Kristy said...

I enjoyed hearing about your trip! :-)

Hannah said...

Oh, I know y'all had SUCH a great time together!!! I am going to have to find out from Besh about those jokes....=D

I'm so glad you came, Danielle, and I hope you can come back soon!!

Hannah B.

Chelle Nicole said...

Hi Danielle!

Sounds like you had a wonderful escape, where you were shown a lot of love. Just remember it is only a fraction of the love God has for you!

Did you take that group shot with a timer? It is really good! Great lighting and composition! Impressive.

Good to hear your stories!

Ashley said...

Sounds like you had a great time! Thanks for sharing it. :) I hope you make it to the Film Festival in San Antonio... and I hope I make it too. Then we can meet each other in person! ;)