Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Lesson this week: Noah's Ark

I've really been getting settled into a routine now with this nanny job. And I started this week with the mind set that I would enjoy it and make the most of every moment I have with Hanah. (So, you know, that IS the correct spelling of her name....I know, I know, you wouldn't think so because I spell everything else wrong.) Since I have had this mindset though, it's like the Lord has really been blessing me with a good week, with Hanah anyway! :) She hasn't thrown a single tantrum for me at all and has been listening quite well. The last 2 days, she hasn't been feeling real well, but still, she is behaving very well. :)

Since each week we study about 2 different bible characters, this week happened to be Noah! :) I ended up taking 3 days to learn about him and do different crafts with her! :) A friend actually reccomended making a boat with her to resemble the ark, so that's what we did on Monday. We first read the story of Noah and the ark and then went over some different facts and then started our building! ;) When I woke up that morning I really had no clue how we would build this ark. :) I had different things in mind and the family ended up having none of the supplies I wanted. So, we had to be creative! :) While feeding the kids breakfast I noticed an empty cereal box, so...can you guess what the base of our boat was?? :P I ended up cutting off part of the box and then folding the bottom of the box up to make like a square out of the cereal box. Then, I made a slit int he top after gluing the box into a square and cut a smaller square out of the top, so we could put things IN the boat! :) With the piece of cardboard that I cut off, I folded it in half and glued it over the opening of the boat to make like a small roof! It really served no purpose.

Then, after gluing all of that, We wrapped our ark with foil and then added our colored popsicle sticks. :) I guess they aren't really popsicle sticks, they are plastic! So, we lined the bottom of our boat with the sticks and then added some sticks that were cut in half to the "roof" of our boat for decoration. I was hoping the sticks on the bottom would actually help it float though. :) Then Hanah colored in a Noah for our boat and we cut him out. At this time I was planning on using animal crackers for the animals, but unfortunately, when I got upstairs they weren't any! :( But, I was pleased to find a box full of foam animal stickers! Hanah and I picked out 2 of every animal we could find and put them in the bottom of the boat! :) So NOW we were ready to set sail!

We ended up waiting 'till Tuesday to float our boat because Logan got home from school, but we had so much fun doing it. I cleared out the big tub, and then set the ark inside the tub. As the tub was filling up, I told Hanah about the flood again, and how it rained for 40 days. As I was talking we were both SO happy to see that our boat, actually floated!! YAY! Praise God! :) I would have felt really bad if it didn't. It floated really well though and except for Noah getting a little wet, it turned out nice and was a fun project!

2 comments:

Scottie Moser said...

Sounds like fun! Good to hear things are going well. :-)

Lindsey said...

Absolutely, positively cute!

Glad things are going well!